I found this fantastic idea on Purple Owl’s Blog, and she got it from someone else, who got it from someone else – isn’t the internet amazing? Anyway, I’ve been thinking a lot about self-care and self-love this past week, and I’ve shared with you my favorite emergency self-care techniques, but this idea for some added, lighthearted accountability seems like a really good idea right about now. Maybe you could benefit from jumping on the Mental Cleanse bandwagon, too? (Hey! It’s good for you!)
So, I’m a day behind to have this fit neatly into the “one month box” BUT I’m gonna do it anyway. Boxes be damned! For the next 30 days, I will be completing the corresponding self-care activity on this list and making a short post about it (in addition to my regularly scheduled, longer form posts, of course). Some of the items on this list might not make sense to you reading them at first, as I’ll be using some self-care tricks I learned in the hospital, in the partial hospitalization program, and in the intensive outpatient program; but I promise to detail each one in the actual daily posts I make.
So, here’s my 30 day list for the rest of April and the first of May.
- Set goals and introduce the plan, then take a long, hot shower.
- G.L.A.D./ What’s Not Wrong
- Check one thing off 50 Things to Do, Become, or Be
- FIRST therapy appointment with new therapist – be honest; come home and journal
- Get some face-to-face time with a friend.
- Yoga Routine/ Radical Acceptance
- Play Mario with Katie
- Get up earlier than Katie & read & share poem
- Learn a new song on the guitar
- Review journal and consider one new thing I learned since writing that entry
- Watch an episode of Buffy or X-Files, geek out
- Do one Self-Soothing activity
- Listen to Pink Floyd with headphones on
- Video Chat/ Phone Call a friend
- Watch a movie I’ve never seen before
- Drink a cup of tea & journal
- Make plans with friends for when Katie is gone
- Check off one more thing on 50 Things…
- Watch a motivational video, share it, and talk about it
- Wear something that makes me feel pretty
- Do one thing to get in touch with deep emotions
- Read something uplifting
- Practice mindfulness for 30 minutes throughout the day
- Cook dinner with Katie – don’t be afraid to make a mess!
- Go on a picture taking adventure
- Practice grounding techniques/ mindfulness when I don’t need them
- Back road drive
- Get outside!
- Go to bed earlier than normal
- Mint mask & reflect on the past 30 days
So, there’s my list! Want to join in? I’d love to hear your plans! Let me know if you’re going to participate by tweeting me at @paradichotomy (here), participating in the challenge on my Facebook page, or in the comments below! Let’s all give ourselves 30 days of solid self-care and see where it gets us!
Now, I’m off to take that hot shower. (I don’t think you need details on that one!) Have a wonderful night!